Tuesday, July 10, 2012

When I became new



The world looked different.
I understood unconditional love.
You were more than I dreamt of having.
You were obviously from above.

You taught me patience.
You taught me to be still.
You showed me my purpose...
And a new depth to feel.

Like waking in a new life,
everything was new...
the smell of your breath, your "na na" cry...
I could not believe that God gave me you!

You trusted me from the start.
To show you the way.
We locked eyes, and traded breath,
and for each new step, I would pray.

You began to grow bigger,
and become so smart.
You are kind and polite and funny...
and have the biggest-sweetest heart.

Daily I thank the Lord,
for trusting me with you.
And for that gift of being changed,
for allowing me to become new.

I trust in Him for direction,
and for patience for our longest days.
And to highlight your blessings on me,
when I am in a "parenting haze".

It has been 4 years since I changed...
since our world shifted from calm,
but this 'new' was worth the trade...
for it was the day I became a mom.

Happy birthday Maddox Payne.
To that little face that I adore,
it feels like only yesterday you came to us,
but today you are already four!

Love, mommy.

9 comments:

  1. So very sweet and special! He is going to cherish this forever. Did you read it to him? I hope so. I've never met the little guy, but I know he would probably appreciate this - even as a four year old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. such sweet and powerful words, happy birthday maddox and congratulations and happy anniversary on being a mommy of 4 years :) ~leslee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holly, that is the sweetest poem I have ever, ever read. I understood your feelings in every word. I've looked at that picture a thousand times before and have always thought, "You can tell they already love each other and always will.
    I sure do love you...
    Nana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truely written from the heart!! A mother's love for their babies at any age! Love ya'll more than you'll ever know!!!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. How sweet! I love this, happy celebrating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How sweet! I love this, happy celebrating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! Happy Birthday to your little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So very sweet. You are a precious mama! I loved this so much. You made me cry today, again! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How beautiful! What a wonderful mom!!

    ReplyDelete