Monday, January 2, 2012

Happy 2012

Lance and I both had to work New Years Day, meaning that we had to keep NYE fairly low key.

[the above was written to make us look less lame... even if Lance and I didn't have to work, we still would have done the same thing!  ...We're home-bodies.]

Anywho, we had a small get together at my mom's.
We made lots of yummy dips and snacks and finger foods.

My brother's family left early....
and a fire near my sister's boyfriend's house had them leave as well.

Lance forgot the games at home,
and the boys didn't track hogs.

So basically we did nothing...
but I still thought it was fun.

[right up until I realized that Lance was only going to get 3 hours of sleep before work, and me; less than 6.  I love sleep.  I need sleep.  Starbucks helped me feel like I had more than I actually did.]









A few days before NYE, Lance and I had a conversation about our goals for 2012.
[I prefer 'goal' rather than resolution.... being the commitment phobe that I am, it makes things not so concrete.]

Last year I encouraged myself to 'let go'.
Of pains... of resentments... of hurt feelings... of harder times... of anxiety... of stress... of things I can not control... of my walls... of trying to please everyone.

I feel like I have come leaps and bounds in the past year-- and my husband agrees.
Like everything else in life, I still have a lot of work to go...
And I will continue working on this. 

So it is time to reassess-- and talk about where we can improve.

Lance said his goal was "to be better".
That annoyed me.

So he clarified, "I just want to be an all around better person."
What?!
"Physically, mentally, spiritually, at work... at home..."

I still kept digging, because I hated that he threw out such a vague resolution goal-- there was no way to track your success, this way. 

But then it made me realize one that I need to add to my list of goals...
  • Quit trying to control everything.

As well as...
  • Cook more.
  • Make healthier food.
  • become members of a church.
  • be on the computer less-- play outside more.
  • read to the boys more.
  • keep my car cleaner.
  • take time away from the boys to make my husband feel loved.
  • find an outlet to give myself to others.
  • Read more for myself.
  • tell Lance how special he is-- rather than just thinking it [or blogging it]. 
  • {finally} learn my camera, and take better pictures.
  • become a certified CPR instructor.
  • Praise more and discourage less.
  • Continue Yoga.
  • Take Salsa lessons with my SIL.
  • Get a daily devotional... and stick with it.
And my big one.
  • LIVE IN TODAY.
I am terrible about worrying about the future... or being so excited to "finally being back on our feet"... that I push through the days, trying to get ahead.  Sometimes, I feel that I miss out on the precious life at my feet, because of this. 
I will be better in 2012.

***
Yesterday, my mom made pork loin, black eyed peas, cabbage, macaroni and cheese, and corn bread... New Years day food competes with Thanksgiving in my book.

After a quick bath in the sink, we went home for the boys to nap.
For three hours. 



Slept all night...
and then Maddox woke up today with fever.  [103.8 now]

He has said his head hurt... his tummy... his "froat"... but mainly he just says he's hot!
[but refuses medicine.]

Beckham, so far, is clear from illness.
However, he did learn how to say momma yesterday!

Momma ma ma ma ma... all day...
I love it.

Happy 2012, y'all!

8 comments:

  1. We're home bodies too. Every so often I will get a wild hair and want to go out {well, pre-pregnancy}, but I always wish I was home by the middle of the night.

    LOVE your outfit {and the photo op :)}! I wish I could pull off an updo, but within 5 minutes I would have a headache from the weight.

    Your "goals" made me think about myself and what I can do to improve. I was thinking my only resolution would be to lose baby weight, but I have a lot of work to do mentally, socially, emotionally {all of the "-allys"}, in my marriage, not just the aesthetics.

    I'm so glad to have your blog to read. You make me think.

    Happy 2012 to you, Holly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, those bath pictures in the sink are the cutest things ever. I love them!

    Love your list of goals. I made some too. I want to work on letting things go, because I hold onto hurts and things way too much. It can make me a miserable person if I let it take over. I hope that this is a happy year for all of us! :)

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I love the dimple hiney and that he's saying Momma--that's fun! :) So sorry Maddox isn't feeling well, poor guy. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, before I forget...Lady Gaga (I hear) has been hardly recognizable that's how ordinary she looks in real life!
    That black and white picture of you and your friends is awesome! And the sink pictures are so cute! I love your list of goals...and my husband would be the exact same way....very vague!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daily Devotional suggestion - Jesus Calling by Sarah Young. I bought it for my Dad and I downloaded it to iBook so I can read it on my phone. Both yesterday and today's were perfect.

    Love all the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need a sink like that! I LOVE that baby booty!!! I'm working on my "goals" now. I'll post soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am assuming that is Maddox getting Pepper's neck meat?

    ReplyDelete
  8. and your assumptions would be correct!

    ReplyDelete