Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Christmas 2010

Lance's step dad lost his very short battle to brain cancer last week.
He was a huge fisherman and chose to be cremated and his ashed spread in the waters that he had fished his entire life.
The ceremony, on the water was scheduled for this Thursday.
(The Eve of Christmas Eve)

Lance and I crawled into bed about 1:30 Wednesday night-- after our first Christmas celebration at Lance's granny's house, putting together and wrapping all the gifts, packing our bags, setting Maddox up for a couple of nights with his Gigi and re-dosing our sick baby with more ibuprofen....

4:00am I woke up with horrible abdominal pain.
I was crying and rolling around as if I was in labor... crouching up on the toilet like a gargoyle... and finally vomiting all over the bathroom floor.
Lance got up and got me a bucket, and he ran me bath water in which I hopped in and out of for the next hour or so, every 20 minutes, with horrible diarrhea.
It was pure misery.
We had to pull out of our house by 6:00am to get Maddox to my mom and meet Lance's sister for the 5 hour journey, and I thought there was no way I could make it.
I hated bailing out on the trip...
I really hated not being there for Lance during this difficult time.
But I didn't feel like I had another option.

Lance re-dosed Maddox, moved him to my bed and headed out.
Wouldn't you know I did not have even one more episode once Lance left.
But I got some needed sleep.

Now Maddox, on the other hand, became more ill.
I was sure that it started as croup.
Like typical croup, he would perk up during the day, but at nightfall the barky cough and fever would return.  (up to 104, at the highest)
On Thursday, however, the fever stayed with him during the day as well.
Mom and I ended up taking him to the doctor.
Dr Guthrie really thought he had the flu but his test was negative.
She diagnosed him with a virus and a slight ear infection in his right ear.
She said with the amount of snot he was producing, it would be full blown before the weekend was over so she started him on some Amoxil.
She called it! By that night, his right eye was gouping up on that right side and his fever was rising.
(At this point I was glad I stayed home, my sickly-boy needed his mommy)

Despite the disgusting, now wet, cough.
5 days of fever...
And Lance hours away, on hardly any sleep...
We managed to have a fabulous Christmas!!

Maddox and I talked a lot this holiday season about Jesus and why we celebrate Christmas.
On our way to Nana's house, in the car, we had a serious discussion about this birthday party that we throw for Jesus.
I explained to Maddox that Jesus' mommy had a baby in her tummy too, just like his mommy and had him in a barn, like Papaw's barn.
(then we listed animals that would live in a barn)
I could tell his wheels were spinning... so I went back to talking about the celebration...
I explained that we get to enjoy all of the lights and food and presents because Christmas is really a big birthday party for Jesus...
We sat in silence for a minute or two, and then he responded, "We're going to need a lot of party hats!!"
I will miss this age of inosence.
And pure honesty.
I will be sad when the magic of the season is gone.
This was by far my most favorite Christmas ever... nothing brings my heart more happiness than to see my son experience such pure joy!!
If he said "wooooowww" in a whisper-completely shocked voice, once... he said it a thousand times!!
And he was great to tell everyone thank you.

We celebrated our first Christmas at Lance's Granny Earlene's with his dad's family Wednesday night.
His granny moved it so that we could all attend since we were going to be out of town for Kenneth's memorial.
Unfortunately, I left my camera at home.  :(

We celebrated Christmas Eve at Nana's house...
She even let me in on her 'secret stash' of divinity in the back of the pantry.
I ate the entire stash.
Maddox was on his 5th day of fever, so he wasn't on his best behavior...
but unwrapping his BUZZ LIGHTYEAR and his Toy Story pjs rocked his world!!

Then on to Mamaw's and Meme's house Christmas Eve night...
Maddox loved his firetruck from them!
And they both really loved their gifts from us!

My poor husband had gotten very little sleep in 2 days and really wanted to crash out on me...
And my sweet son was so hyped on junk food and excitement that he refused to go to sleep.
I treated his runny nose with a little Benadryl, and he slipped off into sleep about 10:45 or 11:00.

Once the coast was clear, Santa went to setting things up....
But not without a few arguments between him and the Mrs.!! 

Maddox crawled into our bed about 6:00am... and though I knew I should remind him that Santa had come, I chose to take advantage of more sleep instead!!
9:00, we all awoke to come see what he got!

(Mrs. Claus was such a deal finder this year... I was so proud of her frugal-ness!!)

My parents came over to see what Maddox got and then we bundled up to go see my brother's new house!

A BIG breakfast at mom's, a hot bath in her over-sized tub with my bucket-o-snot (Maddox), and a nice winter nap with my sister, was just what the doctor ordered!
We woke up in time to change clothes, help mom finish up our Mexican dinner, and start tearing through paper once again!

Maddox never took a nap Christmas Day, because the excitement of the day completely interfered...
So by 9:00 he was crying asking if he could go home...
"He just wanted to see his Santa Clause toys..."
He ended up crawling in Lance's lap and falling asleep.
We watched a movie as a family, and headed home around midnight.

I signed up to work the 26th (like an idiot)....
I was tired, but we weren't busy.
And the big plus: Lance straightened up the Christmas after-math for me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment