Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Another week in Paradise

Another week here has passed.
And despite another stomach bug invading our lives (the third one since December), it was a favorite!

***
Our friends Buster and Kelly had given us their son's old Hot Wheel but after buying a new battery, it still wouldn't work.

The boys were so excited about it and super bummed when it wouldn't work that I broke down and bought them a new one from Sam's.
It was some off-brand and only $149 --and since I had paid $70 for the battery for the red one, I justified it by promising myself that I would take the battery back and it would be like I was only paying $80 for the new one.  (that's how my mind works, in case you have ever wondered.)

I accidentally left the receipt home the day that I went to make the purchase and swap, and before we made it home, Pop found the part to fix the Hot Wheels for $15 and ordered it.

I was very thankful because the few days while we waited for the part, were full of fights.


The Hot Wheels one is definitely a better ride, but they don't seem notice-- they just love to roam!
And since Maddox is passive and Beckham loves red, he usually ends up with the faster one!

When they aren't outside on their new machines, they are ate up with Legos right now!
Both of them!

I don't love the fact that I step on one at least once a day or constantly suck them up in the vacuum, but I do love to see their imaginations come to life...
even Beckham who, without any help, made this and said, "I made Daddy's sticker for him!"
I was quite impressed!


Which brings me to my second splurge for my bigger love where we bought him the $6.99 Minecraft on the iPad after he told me that the free one resets all of his stuff every time he logs off.
I usually max my budget at .99 cents for apps...
that's even a splurge, if I am honest.
But he is really creative with that game and sometimes I am in awe of the things he can build with blocks and bricks and ladders.
He'll show me the houses he builds with rooms and book cases, and a BBQ grill and windows...
and I felt terrible that the poor kid starts from scratch each time so I went against my norm, and he was stoked!  Beyond stoked.
He is limited on how long I will let him stay on it-- because he'd build houses and roller coasters and jails 24 hours a day, if we didn't.
He still will not actually 'play the game', and I am good with that also!
He just builds and builds and builds... and in the new paid-for app, he types words on things so I justify that by telling myself he is learning to sound out words and spell... maybe a little geometry too?
Again, I like to justify.


And so does Lance, I guess.
Or he knows how to work me...

We met him Wednesday after he got off work for some Pho noodles that Maddox and I had been craving and to get his tball stuff.
I was overwhelmed with the price of this stuff... and we didn't even get him cleats or pants yet!
Lance reminded me that he will use it for another 2 or 3 years before Beckham will use it again, and we will get our money out of it.
Poor B.
Justified, no less.



After dinner and buying out Dicks Sporting Goods, Lance took the boys home and I went and had a snow-cone by myself and a little aimless shopping.
I left with a bottle of nail polish, a $10 shirt off of the clearance rack, and a breath of fresh air-- without kids.

...Until I got pulled over on the way home
...driving 15 BELOW the speed limit, and a light around Lance's license plate out.
The trooper was really nice.
No ticket.
I was appreciative, but also nervous, cold and trembling as if I was caught going 120 on a drug run.
I was a good 5 miles down the road before I realized I didn't have my headlights on-- and yet I don't remember turning them off?
I had a snow-cone, I'll reiterate.  No alcohol.

Thursday, I also got my new necklace in the mail from "Lance".
I am really into gold right now (including the bracelet my brother bought me when I graduated, and I wear daily) and my silver M and B necklace no longer matched my stuff.
Basically I ordered my own Valentine's gift...
That's how that worked.
No shame.

That same morning, Beckham woke up telling me his legs hurt.  He told my mom that his hip hurt and by that evening, he was a ball of whine.
At 11:00 I was talking on the phone to patients while wiping the puke off of my tiny boy-- straight multitasking.
We were up every 30 minutes to an hour the remainder of the night, until 4:00am when I finally gave him zofran which only bought us two and a half hours of rest-- but it was two and a half hours that I appreciated.

I stay at home 99% of my life-- and my kids are with me 100% of that time...
but of course the one time of ever that I had plans to leave them, we are hit with the beast.
David had taken off work so that he and mom could go to the Youth Fair, so in the spurts of sleep that I was getting; I kept dreaming that they were so mad at me.

I called mom and after she didn't answer, I went ahead and got dressed and woke the boys to take to her.
She was too kind and held my baby so that I could hop over to Jacksboro and judge a cheerleading tryout for one of my old Jr High teachers and I made it back by 11:00, where he and I napped.


Saturday, he perked up but I felt down.

I was on call both Saturday and Sunday, and I will almost have to lose a limb to give up my call-- so I pushed through.
Sunday I was better, call was fabulous, (as Maddox prayed for it to be... technically he prayed that "I wouldn't get crazy on my call", tomato/tomato) and we all spent the entire day out playing.


Lance woke up about 3:00am, following Beckham's lead.

Maddox woke up pale and listless also, but he (like myself) must have had just a mild case.
He stayed in bed until around noon, and then popped up ready to go.

Beckham was ornery and called me a "dirty robot", in a fit.

The man in my life clung to his life... as the most sickest human to ever vomit or have diarrhea ever has... and slept.
All day.
Have I mentioned that I would have never made a great adult nurse?
Well, I wouldn't have.

I cleaned... Quarantined them to one end of the house,
And hopefully bleached this bug right out the door.

Last night when laying down to sleep, I was telling Maddox all of the things I love about him...
"you're so kind, and smart, and funny, and helpful, and honest, and handsome, and so on" when he cut me off to tell me that I forgot a major one.
"He's incredible at karate."  He has never participated in karate... but by his own acknowledgement, is most likely incredible.

Today, Lance went to work and Beckham woke up by sitting straight up in bed and shouting "rock and roll" so I knew we were off to a better start!!!
We played in this gorgeous weather... all... day... long!
I just love sunshine.
Beckham pinched the hell out of Maddox... his words, not mine.
Maddox said he didn't know hell was a bad word-- but now he does.
And I am an idiot and the idea of sunscreen never crossed my mind, therefor my boys both have red shoulders.  I am sure they'd agree that bubbles, and Popsicles, and dirt, and rides until both batteries were dead were worth it.
Unless it peels, and then I'll feel ultra-terrible.




But I love it here.
It is like camping every day-- but with showers and air conditioner.

I love the warm weather...
And I am so ready for summer, if I haven't mentioned that before.

Another week in Paradise down...
(que the Phil Collins song!)

No comments:

Post a Comment